How to Upload Files using FTP and Filezilla
FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol. It is the primary method by which we upload and download files to a server or web hosting account. You can connect to the ftp server using any ftp client, however here we will focus on one of the more popular (and our preferred) FTP clients, Filezilla FTP.
- Step 1: Installing Filezilla
- Visit http://filezilla-project.org/ in your browser
- Select download FileZilla Client
3. Be sure to double check you are downloading the right installation file for your operating system. You can click “Show additional download options” if your recommended download is incorrect.
4. A window will pop up requesting you to Save the file, please save it to your desktop.
5. Once complete, you may open the installation file and proceed through the installation.
- Step 2: Connecting to Your Web Hosting Account Using Filezilla
To upload files begin by opening the Filezilla Client, then:
- Select the icon in the top left hand corner to open the ‘Site Manager’
- Select ‘New Site’ and enter your domain name you are wanting to connect to.
- The host, port, username and password are provided to you in your BigScoots welcome email.
- Be sure to select the protocol and logon type as shown in the below image.
- Step 3: Uploading Files to Your Web Hosting Account With Filezilla
- If for any reason you are unable to connect, please provide the error seen in the ‘Status’ window and provide it to our support team so we can get you back up and running!
- Once you are connected you can see the local files on left side of the Filezilla and remote server (your web hosting account) on the right hand side.
- If you are attempting to upload files to update your primary website, it is common to upload them to the public_html folder.
- Simply drag and drop files from the left (your local computer) to the right (your web hosting account)
- A status box at the bottom of your Filezilla client will provide you with your upload status of each individual file.
As always, if there are any issues what so ever or you run into any trouble along the road please never hesitate to reach out to BigScoots for assistance. We’re here around the clock and always looking to help in every way we can